Friday, August 23, 2013

Little White Dresses


Let’s talk Little White Dresses (LWD)…


I am one of those brides that thinks I have to wear white to EVERYTHING. I don’t even wear khaki because I’m such a klutz, let alone white, and here I am thinking I need to wear white on all these different occasions. After talking with a few of my friends, it seems that the consensus was either A) YES I wore white to everything or B) I wish I had thought to wear white. Nobody sat down and said they wouldn’t wear white, they just didn’t think of it.

My friend, let’s call her S, had the most gorgeous dress for her shower, and it was brown! She looked amazing, and I never even thought about her wearing white! Friend S did wear white for her bachelorette party and looked gorgeous! My friend D wore a beautiful maxi dress for her shower, she looked like a goddess bride!  And for her bachelorette party, she just wore jeans and a black top and looked incredible.  Now Friend A, wore a white dress to both her showers and I already know she will be wearing white to her rehearsal dinner. However, for her bachelorette party she wore a black dress.  My very own sister, wore orange and pink for her shower and looked gorgeous and springy. She plays by different rules though and I would have never expected her to wear white!

Obviously there is no given rule about what you should wear for bridal events right?!  Except when you ask everyone about what to wear they all go “Oh well you HAVE to wear white!!” Okay, so I’ll wear white. Now, I’m an incredible planner and plan extremely far in advance, so naturally I’m buying my outfits 5 months in advance!

So begins the hunt for 3 illusive LWD…

Image via Millies's Mats Blog 

The most important dress to find was the shower dress… whatever will I wear… I envisioned lace…


Image via She Inside


But here’s the problem ladies… it’s going to be January!!! Oh no, this changes everything… So now I have to find a white dress with sleeves that I can wear with tights… Okay, not so hard right? WRONG.



I had been saying that I would rent, yes rent my dress from Rent the Runway (www.renttherunway.com) for a while now. If you have never had the pleasure of using this wonderful service, check it out, NOW, Wait are you waiting for?! Designer dresses at dirt cheap prices?! I loved this whole idea, I have a closet full of dresses that I paid a fortune for and will never wear again. So I began the quest of finding the perfect shower dress courtesy of RTR… Oh but it was hard! Finally I settled on a dress I thought was perfect.


Image via Rent the Runway


It would look great with black tights and my grey beaded belt from Anthropologie. Unfortunately, I cannot actually rent it until 4 months before the rental date, which lucky for me is in 12 days! So dress #1 SOLVED!!

Image via Anthropologie

Now it’s time to find a dress for my bachelorette party, I thought this would be easy, turns out it’s not! Realizing that it will be January/February, I needed sleeves, a long sleeved white dress to go out in… sounds like it doesn’t exist right? Well it doesn’t! I would also need something to wear with tights and preferably boots. So I begin my search using Shop Style (www.shopstyle.com), it’s a fantastic site where you can find pretty much anything. It will link you to tons of different websites to help you find exactly what you need. So I pop on there and find a dress pretty quickly. I was in love, it was perfect! But oh no, what’s that? LOW STOCK, those dreaded words… So I hurried up and ordered it.

Image via Nasty Gal

With some complimentary 2 day shipping courtesy of www.retailmenot.com (best place for coupons ever!) the dress was at my doorsteps in just well, 2 days! I rushed home to try it on… FAIL. It was practically see through and skin tight… I swear I heard it rip when I put it on. I looked like I was auditioning for Jimmy Dean to be a sausage link! This has to be returned immediately!!


So of course, I have to start looking that night for another dress… And I found 2 I loved! Thanks to Shop Style, I had found another amazing clothing site a few years back www.revolveclothing.com they always had dresses I would drool over. So I ordered Dress #1 and waited for it. Let me tell you something great about Revolve… FREE SHIPPING, Did I mention FREE 2 day shipping?! Not to mention FREE RETURNS! YAY, those are magic words! So I order Dress #2 and a few days later… the dress I really wanted goes on sale… It was perfect… Minus the priceL Now, I love to shop and have no issues paying good money, but umm a white dress no… But this dress was IT, It was on sale for $129, down from $184. PLUS if you downloaded their app, you could type in iPHONE20 and get 20% off! So for $103, I thought “What the heck!”


All Images via Revolve Clothing


So now, I have 2 gorgeous dresses in my possession. And you’ll notice, they’re both short sleeved, but I realized something, who wants to dance with long sleeves on?! So now I’ve got these 2 dresses and they both look great and I’m at an impasse, which one do I keep?! What are your thoughts?! Any of you ladies wearing white to any of your bridal functions?  Do you think it’s necessary to look bridal at all bridal events?!

No comments:

Post a Comment