Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Everything's Coming Up Roses

    Errrr… I mean Hydrangeas! I’ve noticed a trend in the weddings I have been to in the last few years, hardly anyone uses flowers anymore. Obviously I have not done any real research or conducted a focus group of some sorts, but I think we can attribute the non floral centerpieces to Pinterest.

Image via Pinterest
 

     Let’s face it, flowers are expensive, so very expensive. And while they are gorgeous, they are going to die. To spend a large amount of money on things that will die, that you can’t take home or reuse… well it’s a hard thought to stomach sometimes. Introducing Pinterest! Savior of all things! There are so many great ideas on DIY centerpieces, from repurposing wine bottles to old books and suitcases to candles and mason jars. Flowers are no longer the typical choice for centerpieces, and if you want flowers, you no longer have to head to your florist to make up $200 arrangements.

   I never intended to have flowers at our wedding, being that it will be February, I figured it would be okay to not have flowers. When I talked to my mom about this, she thought it was a good idea. I then asked her what kind of centerpieces they had at their wedding, her response, “Flowers, it was 1975, it was unheard of to have anything but flowers!” Well, times are changing for sure.

 

Of course, I got all these great ideas for centerpieces with pine and wood and branches, you know all things winter.
 
    Then we picked our venue…. And were told flowers were included, WHAT?! Unleash the beast… The Pinterest beast that is… I started pinning gorgeous centerpieces and when I went to the florist, I was ready with all my photos. I went a little crazy with the photos, but it turns out they came in handy.

    My wonderful florist, Megan, had a vision like I did. We both immediately thought white hydrangeas should be the focus. She came up with gorgeous ideas and I loved them all. I went back a few weeks later to see a mock up of the centerpieces and just adored them.

 
Image via Inside Weddings
 
Image via Caplan Miller
 
 
*Inspiration photos that Megan incorporated*


     I had never actually envisioned our wedding with all these gorgeous flowers. And now that I knew it could happen, I couldn’t be more excited! If anyone in the Pittsburgh area is getting married, I highly recommend Fragile Paradise. I told Megan what we were willing to pay on top of the credit and she made sure she stayed in that amount. While she is suggesting all these gorgeous ideas, the whole time she is making sure she isn’t painting you a picture of something that costs $4,000 over your budget. She is simply wonderful. I cannot wait to see all her ideas come to life! What are you guys doing for centerpieces? Will you be making some DIY centerpieces? Have you used Pinterest as in inspiration?

No comments:

Post a Comment