Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Little Blue Dresses

      I know that the part women dread most when saying "Yes" to being a bridesmaid is dress shopping... I don't know anyone who has liked their bridesmaid dress, and most women don't expect to fork over $100-$250 for a dress they actually like. I intended to change this and actually have my girls wear dresses they like!

    So one Sunday afternoon, we headed to MB Bride and I instructed my girls to pick out any dress they wanted. As long as (yes those dreaded words) it was knee length, fit with my vintage theme and came in navy blue. The girls were so happy to have input on their dress, that we rounded up about 40 dresses between the 5 of us. I grabbed a seat and let the fashion show begin, I couldn't be more excited!!
 
   Unfortunately, not all of my girls were as excited as I was. If you've ever been bridesmaid dress shopping, you know it's no easy task. I, of course, thought I would make this process great for them... A word to the wise, bridesmaid dress shopping is never easy!!! No matter how you try to spin it, you still have women buying dresses that they wouldn't buy regularly and know that they ultimately, will never wear again.

    I did my best to make sure everyone walked away happy, but it wasn't easy. A few things I learned that

      1. Be Kind - The wedding is about you and your fiancé, this whole process is about the two of you, but for one day, it's about a few other people. Not everyone feels great trying on clothes in front of others. No matter how secure someone appears about themselves, that doesn't mean they are going to want to prance around in a dress in front of others. Give lots of compliments and if you truly don't like something, be nice about it. Instead of "That looks terrible on you" try "I just don't think that dress does you justice"

    2. Everyone Is Different - While you may like one dress, chances are not everyone else does. Women come in many different shapes (as we all know) and rarely will one dress look good on everyone. If you are able to, let the girls pick dresses that look good on their body type. If you want everyone to wear the same dress, pick something that will flatter everyone (usually something flowy) and let everyone try on the dress.

   3. Bridesmaids Aren't Made of Money - If you've been in a wedding, you know this. You are expected to buy a dress for the wedding, but please, take the budget into consideration. If your girls can afford a $250 dress and you've okayed this with them, then go for it! But remember, some may be more well off than others. Not everyone is willing to admit they don't want to spend $200+ right now. Talk about budget before hand. * If you let the girls pick their own dresses they can pick a dress within their budget and YOU didn't force them to buy an expensive dress*

    4. Most Bridesmaid Just Want You To Be Happy - I cannot tell you the countless times I have heard women say they will wear whatever the bride wants, whether the dress is ugly or gorgeous, they'll wear it. Of course, they'll complain about how ugly the dress is to their friends and how they can't believe they spent $150 on a dress so ugly, but they'll never tell the bride that.  It's hard to determine if when a girl goes "I love it!" she is sincere or she just wants you to be happy. Think about how you would feel if the situation was reversed, put yourself in their shoes for a minute and then make a decision.

    Ultimately, I think that bridesmaid dress shopping should be a fun bonding experience. I had it in my head that it was going to be the most amazing day, which can be good or bad. I even brought gifts for my girls to show them my appreciation. Ultimately though, an attitude a bridesmaid has about the experience is one that has been predetermined. If you should get a bridesmaid that is less than chipper about the whole experience, there is nothing you can do to change her mind. Just be kind and complimentary and try your best.

    At the end of our shopping day, my girls walked away with 4 gorgeous dresses and I couldn't be happier about their choices.
Images via The Dessy Group

   Are you going to let your girls choose their own dresses?  Do you already have a vision in your head of what you want them to wear? Or what are your experiences bridesmaid dress shopping?!

No comments:

Post a Comment