Sunday, August 25, 2013

DIY Sunday

   So I love arts and crafts, but don't do them enough. Like a lot of people, I have great ideas but just don't take the time to actually do them. I decided that having a wedding was the perfect reason to start doing some DIY Projects.
Image via Yay Life

   I am not doing a ton of DIY projects, but I have told myself I will absolutely follow through on all the ideas I actually have. About a month ago, I decided I didn't want to do programs. We're having our ceremony and reception all in one place and I just found programs to be unecessary. I do think that people really like knowing who everyone is in the bridal party, so I decided I needed some type of "Program Alternative". Cue Pinterest! 
Image via Twitter

   I had previously seen these adorable "Meet the Maids" and "Meet the Men" collages on Pinterest and just loved them!
Images via Pinterest

    I though these were just great! So I set out to find the perfect picture frame. Of course, this lead me to Amazon where I bought this
Personal Image

   It was perfect! There were 8 spots for the bridal party and one large photo for a picture of Mr. C and I. I decided I needed to paint it white, since well it's a winter white wedding! So I sent Mr. C for some spray paint and the next sunny and rain free day I painted the picture frame.

Personal Image

  It took a lot of spray paint, I'm talking a whole can here, but I eventually got it right, after about 4 coats!

Personal Image

I couldn't be happier, it looked like it was actually supposed to be white! So today, Friend Nutz and I hit the brand new Pat Catans, so exciting! We had the best time and crossed a lot of things off the DIY List. I had an idea to put foam letters on something and attach it to the back of the frame. Friend Nutz suggested getting some foam board and covering it in fabric, genius idea!! So I picked up these great foam letters that had adhesive on the back, that was a double score!

Personal Image

  So after a quick stop at Joann's I had some white fabric with snowflakes an was ready to start putting this together. I had gotten some spray adhesive and sprayed the foam board and fabric and laid the fabric down and smoothed out the wrinkles. Next I had to figure out the perfect placement for the letters, which is easier said then done. After cutting the board down to the right size and covering the edges with fabric, I was ready to place my letters.
Personal Image

  So this is what I ended up with... not bad, not great... But how in the world was I going to attach this to the back of the frame? Screws? Hot glue?? I started to think and realized, this was a fail... So I sat down on the couch and started thinking. Then it hit me, the letters had adhesive, why didn't I just put them right on the picture frame itself? Just like the ones from Pinterest right? Great idea!!
Personal Photo

   It's a little hard to make out everything, I'll update you all with a photo once I have the blurbs about the bridal party; but this is so much better! Much easier than trying to attach the foam board in some magical way. I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out and glad that I got one more thing crossed off the list! What are you guys doing for your programs? Will you have programs? Going to subsitute them with something else? Will you be doing something special to introduce your guests to your bridal party?!










No comments:

Post a Comment